Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, January 22, 2016

glaucoma, sunglasses and new specs, and OH YES new pots….



Bono, lead singer of U2 was asked recently why he always wears sunglasses, even indoors, is it because he is a rock and roller? NO, just glaucoma, which he has had for 20 years, but due to good healthcare…and sunglasses…his vision remains OK.

I am probably boring the hell out of you, but glaucoma is much on my mind these days, as I am in between surgeries on both eyes, because 2 years of medical treatment so far has not helped glaucoma in my eyes. You can't cure it, you just try to find ways to keep it from getting worse, and glasses can help. Actually, sunglasses are good for EVERYBODY's eye health, against harmful UV light outside.

Glaucoma causes blindness if not treated, but a side effect of it and/or the medication is light sensitivity. As in, for me, sometimes it is nothing and sometimes it is painful, like headlights while driving become flashbulbs from a camera and going into the grocery store can hurt like hell…akin to skiing on a sunny day or sitting on a July beach without sunglasses.  Going outside I need to wear sunglasses on most cloudy days too.

SO, my awesome usual glasses are great for most of what I do at home, but my month-after-Christmas present was a souped up pair of specs which look similar to my usual glasses, just steel framed and:  permanent mild 20% tint (full sunglasses are like 80%, so 20% is good for inside stores) and transitions lenses, so they become darker outdoors in UV light, depending on cloudy to sunny.

The dog and I think they look pretty awesome….

7 comments:

cm said...

And I think you both look pretty awesome!

Michèle Hastings said...

You look like a rock star!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Could you be cooler than Bono? There is a strong possibility. Here's to eye health, Penny, and that incredible pinched pottery bowl with lovely glazing!

smalltownme said...

We're twinsies, almost. I just got new glasses of the same shape with transitions lenses.

Green Girl said...

I never knew that about sunglasses and glaucoma and Bono. I am glad things are going well for you!

Carol said...

You are a rock star!
And thanks for the nudge - I must get some sunglasses. With the bad floaters and the beginnings of cataracts, I have to keep in front of this vision thing.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I have prescription sunglasses for the first time and I can't believe I've waited this long. They're awesome! I see better out of them than I do my regular glasses. You and Penny are rocking it! Good luck with the second surgery!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.