WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Friday, January 22, 2016
glaucoma, sunglasses and new specs, and OH YES new pots….
Bono, lead singer of U2 was asked recently why he always wears sunglasses, even indoors, is it because he is a rock and roller? NO, just glaucoma, which he has had for 20 years, but due to good healthcare…and sunglasses…his vision remains OK.
I am probably boring the hell out of you, but glaucoma is much on my mind these days, as I am in between surgeries on both eyes, because 2 years of medical treatment so far has not helped glaucoma in my eyes. You can't cure it, you just try to find ways to keep it from getting worse, and glasses can help. Actually, sunglasses are good for EVERYBODY's eye health, against harmful UV light outside.
Glaucoma causes blindness if not treated, but a side effect of it and/or the medication is light sensitivity. As in, for me, sometimes it is nothing and sometimes it is painful, like headlights while driving become flashbulbs from a camera and going into the grocery store can hurt like hell…akin to skiing on a sunny day or sitting on a July beach without sunglasses. Going outside I need to wear sunglasses on most cloudy days too.
SO, my awesome usual glasses are great for most of what I do at home, but my month-after-Christmas present was a souped up pair of specs which look similar to my usual glasses, just steel framed and: permanent mild 20% tint (full sunglasses are like 80%, so 20% is good for inside stores) and transitions lenses, so they become darker outdoors in UV light, depending on cloudy to sunny.
The dog and I think they look pretty awesome….
- FLYING LINGERIE: just 2 weeks until V day!!!!!!
- bunny bouquet….
- on the one hand, painted mugs.. on the other, glut...
- gluten-free applesauce cake: no white sugar and s...
- 100 holes punched into my right eye: second glauc...
- "a hint of turquoise"
- speaking of that handle….
- whoa, LONG upper handle...
- glaucoma, sunglasses and new specs, and OH YES new...
- how to make a lamp from SCRATCH
- oh yeah, winter can be beautiful!
- 100 holes in my left eye is better than going blin...
- a tale of 2 vases…or 3….
- Dill, Daisy and Scoop
- "everything's going to be OK…."
- great expectations….
- "if my eye surgeon can ____, then I can fix the ov...
- glaucoma is a B!TCH
- half of 3.3 million bucks...
- "we can be heroes, if just for one day…"
- not exactly bamboo….
- when cake is just like pottery….
- dogs haven't taken over my life….
- CRUSTY… a potter's workplace
- 4 days of winter...
- frozen margaritas delivered to your door….
- holy CATS number 2 in the world...
- 15,000 photos a year…..
- bubbly: not just champagne….
- 2016 seems like a BIG number….
- ▼ January (31)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)