WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
glaucoma is a B!TCH
I think most humans, especially anybody lucky enough to grow older, has their health issues, and I am not writing this to get sympathy, just to express that it p!sses me off.
You may recall that I have glaucoma (an artist with glaucoma: we all love our vision of course, but my eyes are my LIFE). You may also recall that last month the doctor was trying the third treatment in 2 years and wanted to do surgery. None of the treatments have worked, and soooo…I have 2 eye surgeries in the next 2 weeks. The surgery itself may not be much trouble, but what bothers me is this:
Glaucoma and vision are like holding sand in your hand. You are only allowed the one handful of sand, ever. And it is slipping through your fingers and you are trying to prevent losing more sand. Ditto glaucoma: treatment tries to prevent more vision loss, and it can't reverse damage done. And to be clear, if treatments aren't working, you are losing vision, slowly but surely. My doctor explains that surgery in my case has a 50/50 chance of helping, maybe 80 percent with new drug treatments too. And we might have to redo the surgeries another time or 2. He also explains that this is your life: something might or might not work, then we try something else, then something else…. and on it goes.
Glaucoma research may change from an eye issue to a brain issue: since it affects the optic nerve, which is part of the brain, it is now being seen as akin to Parkinson's disease. Perhaps, as with Parkinson's, one day stem cells will regrow optic nerves and you will regain vision.
For now, though, glaucoma is a b!tch.
(in other news, cute pinstripe mugs eh?)
- FLYING LINGERIE: just 2 weeks until V day!!!!!!
- bunny bouquet….
- on the one hand, painted mugs.. on the other, glut...
- gluten-free applesauce cake: no white sugar and s...
- 100 holes punched into my right eye: second glauc...
- "a hint of turquoise"
- speaking of that handle….
- whoa, LONG upper handle...
- glaucoma, sunglasses and new specs, and OH YES new...
- how to make a lamp from SCRATCH
- oh yeah, winter can be beautiful!
- 100 holes in my left eye is better than going blin...
- a tale of 2 vases…or 3….
- Dill, Daisy and Scoop
- "everything's going to be OK…."
- great expectations….
- "if my eye surgeon can ____, then I can fix the ov...
- glaucoma is a B!TCH
- half of 3.3 million bucks...
- "we can be heroes, if just for one day…"
- not exactly bamboo….
- when cake is just like pottery….
- dogs haven't taken over my life….
- CRUSTY… a potter's workplace
- 4 days of winter...
- frozen margaritas delivered to your door….
- holy CATS number 2 in the world...
- 15,000 photos a year…..
- bubbly: not just champagne….
- 2016 seems like a BIG number….
- ▼ January (31)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)