WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Saturday, May 25, 2013
4am, 500 miles, hundreds of feet....
500 mile drive, round trip for the day, over and back.
TODAY? I feel like I was dragged up a pile of rocks and down...and I was! There is nothing like a small energetic beagle to help you hike a mountain, and I am SORE.
It was incredible though.
I will fill in the details Sunday, here is a beginning:
In 1850, Nathaniel Hawthorne had just written THE SCARLET LETTER and met Herman Melville for the first time to climb Monument Mountain in Great Barrington, Mass. They were hit by a very heavy storm and sheltered in a cave and enjoyed chatting about writing (we had good climbing conditions on our climb, but it was REALLY stormy before and after, and it is such a dangerous and treacherous hike I am glad it was dry) .
Melville came down and wrote MOBY DICK and dedicated it to Hawthorne.
We went to find that cave.
(I think we did)
Remember my last post, about cowboy cookies? Mountain climbers need them too! But NOT beagles.
Penny is a champion hiker and rider. She looooves what we love, marching for miles! Then sleeping like the DEAD. Good golly I slept like the dead last night...
Shortly after starting I was like "this cave?" and the wife was like "that is more of an OVERHANG".
Truly, there might be caves all over the place but.....
We came around a corner and saw THIS waterfall and CAVE. The cave goes back in a bit, and would easily shelter 6 or more people (hard to tell from the photo...but WOW). We were like "this is IT!".
Climbing to the top, as you will see in pics tomorrow, was impossibly perilous. You are climbing up very steep rocks...and down...and across narrow ledges with dropoffs of hundreds of feet!
This is one of the 2 summits....Penny kept pulling me to the edge which is why I sat down I was so scared. Just beyond her tail is a sheer drop all the way down to the valley... unbelieveable view...
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- when it goes up to 97 degrees you bring out the PE...
- fill in the blank: "when a loved one travels_____...
- 29 things I think are AWESOME!
- Time warp Tuesday: Petey and Penny!
- Sammy version 2.0
- so, like I was telling you, we climbed a mountain ...
- 4am, 500 miles, hundreds of feet....
- of cowboys, ponies and barns!
- remember mother's day?
- Time warp Tuesday: mother's edition!
- a tale of 2 vases....and mugs!
- if you want to piss off a cat...
- the prettiest puppies, pussycats, pottery and pota...
- beagles and back to busy business!
- busy business and raining cats and dogs....
- "Gary we have seen your elephant gear before" they...
- Time Warp Tuesday: LIFE AS AN EXTREMELY FAMOUS AT...
- Mother's day promises
- not as muddy as it could be, but more painful...an...
- the last minute SUB goes through hell week in one ...
- the kind of guy who...wears black socks with short...
- why we do this = how we sell it!
- comfort food and...pottery!
- time warp Tuesday and a MOP
- from cinco to May 6...
- C is for: comedic cat.... and Cinco de Mayo!
- when is ARBOR DAY anyhow????
- one couch and one cat
- antidote to a NIGHTMARE
- they PAY ME for this sh!t....
- ▼ May (30)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)