WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Saturday, May 28, 2016
the hail Mary pass in gardening...
I am just awful with plants. They either thrive or they don't, getting very little help from me. I have not the patience for it, therefore avoiding gardening, except my YEARLY HAIL MARY pass with the tomato seeds…and sunflowers, basil and cosmos. Those guys do OK with me. (well, the tomato plants always start OK then die a horrible death…it is true! I write about it every August…)
I think these tomato plants have a good chance. The neighbors have these badass cherry tomato plants that come up every year and tomato blight, a big problem here, never touches them…and it has been years since they planted those things! The plants are so tough and fecund they seed themselves and grow beautifully. OBVIOUSLY it was worth trying to save some of those seeds, and so far this year they look pretty good. I also saved a few seeds from an heirloom plant I had last year that wasn't 100 percent killed by blight…maybe it will produce a few….
as for the flowers, it got to be a big mess and I ended up tossing half the seedlings into a mass burial…I mean, I dug a trench, planted and watered them and told them I had done my best (which isn't much). Everybody got some stinky plant food which the dog always tries to eat, some water, then in the evening we had the nicest little rainfall, which may just help them on their way….
- every day should be...
- a day around the house with a BADASS snake...
- polar bears and poppies...
- the hail Mary pass in gardening...
- porridge with peanut butter and applesauce….
- ginger jars and Jessica Rabbit...
- the field trip...
- quick timeout for some CUTEness
- a beautiful world
- Shortchanging readers: falling down on the job?!
- feeling like a million dollars...
- what was I THINKING?!
- how did you trick her into THAT?
- getting there….
- mice-sized cats….and snow on May 15th…..
- mission control and going on a mission...
- PITA: more than a pain in the azz….
- the wee road trip...
- "you made vases that look like Jessica Rabbit"
- dragons and a wicked cool stash box...
- the paradigm shift...
- a BIG shift...
- c'mon SPRING gawdammit….
- a mixed bag….
- stop the world, I want to get off!
- dragons: fierce or cute????
- "visiting beagle photobombs studio pic…"
- getting off the fast track….
- ▼ May (30)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)