Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, June 11, 2015

gluten-free shortbread!



When you have celiac disease or somesuch problem and your favorites are no longer available at the drop of a hat, you mourn....but then you get busy baking and experimenting, right?

I always loved shortbread, which was a double nono for me, who also has the dairy allergy with the wheat... but we live in great times!

Shortbread is dead simple, just a butter cookie (although I see no reason NOT to get chocolate on there somewhere...).  I famously wooed the wife 20+ years ago with a "wanna come up and see my chocolate dipped pistachio shortbread?".  I not only let her look, I let her eat.....

Can't remember where I came across this recipe, but here tis!


gluten-free shortbread recipe

In a large bowl stir together one cup plus 2 TBS all purpose gluten-free flour, 1/2 teas xanthan gum, 1/4 cup arrowroot starch, 3/8 cup sugar, dash of salt.
Mix into the dry 8 TBS softened margerine or butter first with a spoon, then use your hands to knead and make it perfect.  Form it into a log about 6 inches long and refrigerate 10-20 minutes.
Preheat to 375
Slice dough into about 15 cookies and lay on cookie sheet
Bake about 8 minutes, until they are golden and starting to brown at the edges. Pull out and this is when I put a chocolate chunk on each, as pictured.
Let cool on baking sheet several minutes then move to wire rack.


1 comment:

Barbara Rogers said...

Sound decadent to me! Somehow blogger didn't bring up your post this morning on my "list" I felt something was missing!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.