Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, May 24, 2014

after a messy week: centering with a side of gluten-free blueberry cake :)



(new wee pitcher given to the wife, it is so cute you know I had to keep it for us:  I was at a friends house the other day peeing and saw a tiny glass pitcher in the bathroom with a pretty way of doing the top, pinching it up there where the handle goes...and that is lily of the valley from my great-grandmother's garden now in OURS and it is in the kitchen smelling GREAT)



I found 2 four-leaf clovers the other day.  The week has been turning out that way indeed!
What better way to get back to normal than THROW pots and bake blueberry cake?

People talk about CENTERING.  You know, chilling out, meditating.  Potters are lucky in that our practice and discipline literally involves centering clay...and the brain! I swear nothing is more relaxing and contemplative than making pots. You wonder why I do it and maybe that is why.  I am a totally hyperactive social weirdo and pottery brings me down to..... the best me, the best mood.

Baking too. Which is similar, right? You have the powders, the water, forming, baking, and it is also productive:  make pots all day or bake and you have a table covered with work, makes you feel good to make things.

SO, yes, a challenging week, but I made things, fired the kiln.  I have an order for a bowl type I like to do in green with frogs...except, hold the frogs and go denim blue... still looks NICE eh? And the wee pitchers? You know I like to make those and it is the easiest thing to do and sell, a small inexpensive item like that at an art fair.

Finally:  gluten-free blueberry cake!  I have zillions of recipes for gluten-free cakes, but the wife was like "soy flour and protein, what do you think?" and I was like "I have a bag of it and should remember to use it!" and my friends at Bob's Red Mill had this great, simple recipe for a plain cake, ready for anything, like blueberries and nuts... so MOIST and tasty :) (click here for recipe-I used sugar, not splenda...wtf is SPLENDA?)
 Have an awesome Saturday!


4 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Yay sugar. I have Splenda for friends who request it, but yek, I don't like it meself.

Michèle Hastings said...

I LOVE the photo of your little pitcher filled with Lily of the Valley... of course you had to give to Maude!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I'm glad those blue bowls already have a home and that I already have my own giant Gary Rith blue bowl. Otherwise, I'd be wanting those too! Glad your week is getting back to something close to normal. Happy weekend to you!

smalltownme said...

Lilies of the Valley are the May flower! Do you have an emerald green vase? Oh my, I do love the expression on Spike's face!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.