Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Sunday, June 29, 2014

" boil thou first i' the charmed pot!"



OK, 2 things today, right0?  Sometimes you are young and you say "there goes an old lady in a silly hat!" which is easy to say when you are young because you are beautiful and invincible.

Then you get old and say "I am fukking ROASTING in this sun and maybe I should pay attention to sun cancer warnings, especially since people in my family have had it...." and you order yourself a silly hat.  One that covers all around and offers 50 upf protection, but for all that, you try to say to yourself "I look like a BADASS ADVENTURER in this (silly) hat...or maybe even like a surfer dude who cares about nothing but sun, wind and waves....".  Right.  Silly or not, you get older and don't give a sh!t if young people think "there goes an old dude in a silly hat!"

Some days you cook up a storm.  I have this weird thing going on.  I am a vegetarian and would further call myself a fruitatarian. Up until recently I could subsist on apples, pineapple and strawberries.  BUT some of those things might be messing me up:  my allergist thinks I have multiple food allergies....like, to dairy, apples, pineapple and strawberries, plums, cherries, kiwi, wheat..... tests are being done, we meet again soon.  I wonder what THE FUCH WILL BE left that I can eat? Luckily, there is a chance that for some foods on the list cooking reduces a body's allergic reaction.

SO, I have to make the list, make the chart.  Column one, fruit, then check raw or fresh and then check cooked.  Mango, fresh?  Seems like no problem fresh or cooked. With strawberries I get a TEN (severe) reaction to fresh, and still reactive when cooked.  Cherries?  2, mild reaction fresh.  Apples?  2, mild reaction THANK GOD.  But how about all those apples in the fridge?  I made applesauce with them.  And since cranberries give me no reaction and I love them in applesauce, I threw in a bunch.  Such a pretty  red!

I seem not too reactive to cooked apples.
BUT then I was like "now I have a boatload of applesauce, how about trying that gluten-free applesauce spice cake recipe (click here) which uses a boatload of the stuff????" it also uses my buddy Lesli's honey....

THEN I was like "the oven is still hot,  and the wife is down in NY city eating HUGE TASTY buttery bagels.... "and I hadn't made bagels in a little while and OH JEEZ my gluten-free bagels (click here) may look a little lumpier than commercial and I don't like bagel holes so I make a bagel dimple, but don't be fooled:  they are STELLAR and delicious.  I woke up at 1:30 hungry as can be....and came down and had breakfast.  Then I went back to bed.  THAT is how good those bagels are.

FINALLY, talking dinner, I had the easiest tacos last night, a new idea for me:  LETTUCE WRAPS! (instead of the usual flour or corn tortilla)  My neighbors across the street have enough lettuce growing to feed every bunny in NY state and shared some with us (which I am hopeful will continue in the upcoming weeks). SO, what I did with some of those fine leaves is take 2 and then spoon on some of vegan stoner's black bean dip (blenderize a can of black beans with some salsa and mayo and spice), chopped carrot and tomato then some non-dairy cheese.  YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE how yummy this was.  I just sort of rolled them neatly and stuffed them in my mouth...oh BOY... :)  Have a great Sunday!


8 comments:

LS said...

Soon you'll be like my old dog, whose allergies forced him to subsist on ostrich meat and broccoli. OK, maybe not ostrich, but it was something weird. And horridly expensive. I suppose the vegetarian equivalent would be adzuki beans or something.

Anyway, good luck with the allergies! I restocked Snowbird with your favorite soap. :)

Shortstuff said...

Nice hat!

smartcat said...

Allergies are the pits no doubt about it! Watch for tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, anything from the nightshade family.
Growing older is such fun! And you are still a relative sprout!
Spike and Penny look more than willing, ready, and able to help with anything you can't eat!

cookingwithgas said...

I love fruit, that would be hard to give up. I have a friend who can only eat apples and peaches cooked. She also has nut allergies....
You are a cooking fiend.

Mrs. Potsblog said...

The restaurant Blockheads calls the tortilla-less burritos, that is, all the stuff on lettuce, a naked burrito. You're on to something there!

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

What a yummy post. Love the hat. Applesauce cake...oh yes. Naked burritos...and there's a Chinese (?) version of lettuce wraps. Unfortunately the restaurant which served them went out of business here.

Michèle Hastings said...

Allergies to so many fruits just isn't fair!!! Good thing you like to cook, someone else would find adapting to this news very overwhelming.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

It all looks delish and I'm with you on the hat. I passed "who cares?" many years and many water polo tournaments ago.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.